Careers at Visual Magnetics
Spring communications and graphic design intern (NYC)
Are you an art or design student that aspires to apply your creative and expressive style to an exciting start-up that is at a unique intersection of art and interior design? We are looking for a Part-Time Communications and Graphic Design Intern to work directly with our Creative Director. Our intern will assist in creating a wide range of content for social media, editorial, etc while also being given the opportunity to gain a deep understanding of all stages of both photo and video shoots. They will be involved in researching art and design trends that will influence new product design. There will also be opportunity for the intern to take on projects to expand their art and design capacities to build their portfolio.
Our intern will learn how to hone the ability to be highly creative under a strategic creative brief. We are looking for an intern who is eager to self-direct, take initiative on projects and who will combine their own artistic sensibility with our brand voice. We are always trying to create unique ways to make walls beautiful by inspiring our customers through creative projects.
· Apply graphic design skills to a variety of projects on a daily basis.
· Create creative content (illustrations, graphic layouts, free-hand and expressive handlettering, photography, etc.) for marketing material and DIY projects.
· Strong hand lettering and illustration skills are a must. Strong photography skills is a plus.
· Assist in the planning and execution of photo shoots, video shoots and in post-production tasks.
· Assist in the creation and posting of social media and blog content, ensuring all content is in the Visual Magnetics voice and aesthetic.
· Attend design related events.
· Conduct market and press research.
· Must be enrolled in a Bachelors Art program with at least one-year completed AND must be eligible to receive academic credit for the internship
· Must be available 2.5 - 3 days a week
· Must be highly organized with good time management skills and be a self-starter. We all wear many hats at Visual Magnetics!
· A strong artistic background is a must. We encourage the candidate to show a portfolio with art and design samples.
· A pattern or textile design is a PLUS. We encourage the candidate to share these samples
· Must have excellent written, verbal and communication skills in the English language.
· Must be have excellent working proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
· Must be comfortable and proficient at BOTH digital and freehand illustration.
· Must be proficient in social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
· Must be crafty, resourceful and have a good design sense.
· Must be able to produce work in a timely manner and under a time frame.
· Must be available for Design Week in May 2017.
Visual Magnetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer